ACTSA Scotland logo


ACTSA Scotland was formed in December 1994 as the Scottish Section of the national organisation Action for Southern Africa and works to develop solidarity between Scotland and all the states of the Southern African Development Community. As the successor organisation to the Scottish Anti-Apartheid Movement our closest links are with South Africa and in particular with the Eastern Cape Province with which Scotland has had a particularly strong historic connection.

In addition to individual ACTSA members and supporters a range of organisations are involved in the work of ACTSA Scotland, including church and religious organisations, trade unions, international support groups, local authorities and schools.

One of ACTSA Scotland's key areas of work is to develop direct contact between individuals and organisations in Scotland and Southern Africa. Links have been established between several organisations and this has led to some very helpful connections, including exchange visits and other contacts which have helped to build relationships. One significant example is the link between Glasgow City Council and Amathole District Municipality.

Arising from this interest in links with Eastern Cape, two major areas of work are the collecting and sorting of books to send to school libraries in the Province, and the arrangement from time to time of sponsored walks on the Wild Coast with visits to the inspiring organisations for which the Walks raise very modest funds.   For more information on these click the links below.

ACTSA also campaigns for peace, democracy, reconstruction and development in Southern Africa, and works to increase knowledge and understanding in Scotland of that region, including the legacies of apartheid and its widespread destructive consequences.


For all of the very latest news from ACTSA Scotland click on this link



This site is dedicated to the memory of Colin Anderson (3 July 1952 - 9 January 1999)
Colin worked to put together this site right up until his untimely death in January 1999.